Thursday 13 June 2019

#ThrowbackThursday - The Awdry Centenary Special (18/6/2011)

On Saturday June 18th, 2011, the day before Father’s Day, I went on a special trip to the Talyllyn Railway in Northern Wales with my dad for a train ride along the lovely little line. It was a lovely afternoon by the time we arrived at Tywyn station to book our tickets, but it was decided that we both explored the station and museums first.

I even got to explore the gift shop in Tywyn filled with classic Thomas books and toys that were on the shelves among many Railway related items, and even had a picture taken next to one of the narrow gauge mining engines in the museum. As we explored the place from upstairs, I had a chance to explore the special centenary exhibition in honour of the late Reverend Wilbert Vere Awdry (1911 - 1997). The cabinets and green boards filled with Wilbert’s possessions, the Railway Series books in which he was the writer and author, and some archival photographs during his lifetime.

During some exploration while filming, I had a brief chat with some lovely railway staff about the legacy of Wilbert Awdry, the centenary celebration and how I met his son Christopher in person a few times. I then decided to film the Awdry Study place which was another one of the highlights of the trip from my perspectives.

Shortly after, my father and I went out to take a train ride from 1:50 PM along the line with Edward Thomas (who inspired Awdry to create ‘Peter Sam’ based on the particular engine) taking us to Nant Gwernol and back. Along the way, we passed Tom Rolt and stopped at a crossing next to the locomotive sheds for a couple of minutes before the train can move again.

In the middle of our train journey after passing many beautiful countrysides and fields filled with cows and sheep, in which my father remarked that it was like the countryside in ‘The Lord of the Rings’, I met Veronica Chambers at Abergynolwyn station (where Sir Handel and Rusty were around during the time) and we both had a brief yet pleasant chat about her father before I headed back into the train onward to our final stop at Nant Gwernol.


By the time we arrived, Peter Sam was uncoupled and changed tracks for the return journey to Tywyn, while I filmed some shots of the rushing rivers, waterfalls and a steep hill that was used to be an incline. However it was decided for a short stroll along the rivers of Dolgoch Falls and explored the caves.



After some additional exploration on our little railway adventure, my father and I took another train (pulled by Tom Rolt) back to Tywyn and went safely home by car for some well earned rest after a long journey.

See five videos and a photo album of the trip in these links!



No comments:

Post a Comment